Scott Weiland Cause of Death Revealed: Singer died of an accidental drug overdose, say officials
2 weeks after his sudden passing at age 48, Scott Weiland’s cause of death has been confirmed by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner.
According to the Associated Press, the press release stated that the musician, who passed away on 3 December, died of ‘mixed drug toxicity’ including cocaine and ethanol.
‘Other significant conditions are noted as atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, history of asthma and multi-substance dependence.’
The release concluded that the ‘manner of death is accident’.
Scott, who had also fronted Velvet Revolver, was found by his manager on the tour bus at the age of 48.
A statement on his Instagram page read at the time: ‘Scott Weiland, best known as the lead singer for Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, passed away in his sleep while on a tour stop in Bloomington, Minnesota, with his band The Wildabouts.’
Scott’s ex-wife Mary Forsberg Weiland later wrote a poignant open letter in Rolling Stone asking for the singer’s death not to be glorified.
‘The truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope,’ Mary wrote.
‘Many of these artists have children. Children with tears in their eyes, experiencing panic because their cries go unheard. You might ask, “How were we to know? We read that he loved spending time with his children and that he’d been drug-free for years!”
‘In reality, what you didn’t want to acknowledge was a paranoid man who couldn’t remember his own lyrics and who was only photographed with his children a handful of times in 15 years of fatherhood.’
Maxine J. Martin